Good morning lovely readers!!!! It's the start of a new week and new posts here at TECD!!!!!
It's been a while since I did a post for the "On the Plate" segment. And with winter here, I thought the timing was perfect to share a healthy soup recipe.
My family loves Lebanese food. One of our regular haunts to eat at is Lebanese Taverna. The fresh baked breads, shawarma wraps and the hummus is to die for. Have you ever tried the "Lentil Soup" on their menu ???? I loved the soup and tasted every single spoon with the intention of replicating it at home. And I have my version for you and it's packed with flavor and nutrition. The green lentils give it a hearty rustic flavor and the lemon adds a nice fresh, clean twist to the soup. And to top it all the super food spinach adds it's healthy quotient to this recipe. I'm one content and worry free mommy when I get my son to eat this bowl full of goodness.
Lentils are said to be the "culinary all star" as it has protein, fiber, it's heart friendly and the easiest of all legumes to cook. There is no pre-soaking required. Wash, drain and if you've got a pressure cooker about 5 whistles is all it takes.
I usually serve it for dinner. I make a big batch and once dinner is over, the left overs get packed off for my husbands lunch the next day.
Lebanese Green Lentil Lemon Soup:
Prep Time:20 mins
Total Time: 40 mins
11/4 cups dried green lentils (Once cooked, reserve 1/2 cup cooked lentil water)
10 oz bag of fresh spinach roughly chopped (Swiss chard could also be substituted)
1 medium sized onion - chopped
1 medium sized potato - chopped into 1cm cubes.
1 green chilly - finely chopped ( could add 1 more if you like your soup spicier)
3 pods garlic - finely chopped
2 cups chicken/vegetable broth ( I like my soup fairly thick. Could add more or less broth as per your preference.)
2 tbsp olive oil
juice of 1 lemon (Could add more or less lemon juice as per your preference.)
salt to taste
1. Wash and drain the green lentils. Add enough water and pressure cook until soft ( I need 5 whistles in my pressure cooker). Once cooked strain and reserve 1/2 cup of the cooked lentil water.
2. Heat oil and add onions. Saute until translucent. Add garlic and green chilies and saute for a minute.
3. Add cubed potatoes and 1/2 cup reserved lentil water. Cover and cook until 3/4 done.
4. Add spinach and cook until spinach wilts and is cooked through.
5. Next add cooked lentils, chicken/vegetable broth and salt. Let simmer for 10-12 minutes until the broth is completely boiled.
6. Switch off the stove and stir in the lemon juice.
7. Serve hot with pita bread and hummus on the side or just simple bread sticks .
Give this filling and heart warming soup a try and Enjoy!!!!
Wishing you a wonderful week ;)
Images:Clicked by me. Please do not use without prior written permission.
Images are the property of Sruthi Singh and subject to copyright